Theta Kappa Phi moved into Phi Kappa’s house at 338 E. Fairmount Ave, where we continue to live today. From that point on we were known as the Pennsylvania Beta Gamma Chapter of Phi Kappa Theta. After almost 80 prosperous years at Penn State, we lost our charter in 1991 due to alcohol violations.
Phi Kappa Theta will be known as the premier human development organization inspiring confidence through life experiences.
Phi Kappa Theta actively develops men to be effective leaders who passionately serve society, Fraternity and God.
Alumni Executive Board
PHI KAPPA – 1889
In the late 1880’s, a group of catholic students at Brown University in Rhode island organized themselves as a social fraternity, based on the fellowship of faith. Their first name was Phi Kappa Sigma, taking the Greek equivalent of the initials of “Fraternity of Catholic Students”. (The Sigma was subsequently dropped) With the help of local alumni, businessmen and a receptive college administration, the group thrived.
It decided to become a national fraternity and admitted the Loyola Club of the U. of Illinois as the Beta chapter. Their first convention was in 1914. The first magazine, the Yippa-Yappa of Phi Kappa, was published in 1916. By 1930 they had 24 chapters linked under their motto, “Loyalty to God and College”. After several revisions, their coat of arms and initiation ceremony were standardized by then. Both a real estate holding company and an educational foundation were established in 1954.
THETA KAPPA PHI – 1919